A day in the life | Joe Harvey, Junior Graphic Designer
For this week’s ‘A Day in the Life of’ we have Joe Harvey- the Junior Graphic Designer here at Panache. We quizzed Joe on a typical day to give you an insight in to his role
1. What time did you wake up?
6:20, 6:30, 6:40 and then again at 6:50
2. Did you make your bed?
My girlfriend did it. I was on Tea Duty.
3. What are you wearing to work today?
Grey Shirt, Black Jeans, Black desert boots. I’m thinking of starting an alternative to “Dress Down Fridays”…”Monochrome Mondays?”
4. How did you get started in your career?
I used to design football kits and trainers as a kid. I’d draw out a template of a kit and get my Mum to photocopy hundreds of copies at work. I went through a lot of crayons! Now I’m in my mid twenties and I’m a Graphic Designer. Some other stuff DID happen in between. But, it’s mainly study/work related so I won’t bore you with that.
5. What advice would you give to someone who wanted to work in Graphic Design?
Persevere. Try working freelance, do some placements, have a go at a personal project and be passionate about making stuff look good.
6. What is in your diary/to do list on an average day?
It changes all the time really. It’s pretty varied.
7. What did you accomplish today?
I’ve been working on email-able invites for our Spring/Summer 15 shows and preparing images for the website update as we’re about to go into the new season.
8. What did you want to accomplish today?
I wanted to have a reasonably healthy day. I did not accomplish that!
9. What was the best part of your day?
Not accomplishing my healthy day was pretty satisfying!
10. What do you like about what you do?
I earn a living doing something I enjoy! Also, I’m now a God amongst men in my local pub! – Working for a lingerie company generates a lot of man points.
11. What is most challenging about what you do?
Last minute requests. I’m always shuffling work around to accommodate eleventh hour jobs.
12. What is most rewarding?
Seeing the finished item. Wether it’s a new brochure, point of sale or something that appears on the website.
14. What are your favourite clothing brands?
P&Co – I’m a large if you want to buy me a T-shirt Anyone?!
15. What is your favourite ice cream?
I spent some time in Italy last year and ate a LOT of gelato. I’d usually go for two scoops. But the staple flavour of my tub would always be ‘Fior di Latte’ – Plain milk gelato. Wow!
16. What is your favourite flower?
Keep your eye out for the next instalment in our ‘Day in the life of’ series for more insight into what its like working in the lingerie industry!